Post 4 otl101–Offering Feedback

posted in: otl101 | 0

In my faculty practice, I consider giving feedback to my students as a way of providing them with my observed insight into how their submissions or performance is progressing in relations to the learning outcomes of the course  as well as advice to solve any unaccomplished solutions. While giving and receiving feedback can be a delicate process, there’s no doubting its value in helping to identify issues and solve them. Faculty should manage feedback in a positive way so that it can do what it’s intended to do: Help improve the performance of student. With these raised points I don’t see any fundamental differences between my feedback and that of Hattie recommendations. Hattie suggests that teachers provide constructive criticism and advice through social interaction and praise. This feedback needs to be focused on three ways;

1. Goals: Where am I going?
  2. How am I going? What is the progress toward obtaining goals? and
  3. Where to next? How may I complete my goals?

Hattie’s suggestions align with my strategies.

I consider feedback as a way of aligning students to the core objectives of learning. To make this workable, I use the interactive approach through the positioning of students first in a way that helps them to be proactive in what the demands and requirements of a course is. Making things specific through what the requirements are aiming towards the goals and looking at how they can accomplish the goals.