Post 8-otl201-Course Introduction

posted in: otl201 | 0

Course Introduction

Transcript

Hello Everyone and welcome to our course!

My name is Dr. Christian Tabi Amponsah (Dr Chris) and I will be your instructor for the course. I am looking forward to working together in the next few weeks with you.. I want to welcome everyone, and I would encourage you to post a short informal hello message in the “Personal Introductions” discussion forum just to let me know you received my welcome message, to briefly introduce yourself to the class, and to say a few words about what you hope to get out of this course. You may add your favourite meals and sports.

Although the official start date for the course is not until Monday, all students (who have officially registered) now have access to the Moodle platform, so feel free to start exploring a little bit of your online learning environment—All details of the course can be found within the online course site, including syllabus, module overview files, recorded lectures, readings, etc. I also wanted to take a moment to post a couple of points as we get started.

The flow of this course uses a mix of asynchronous (not live/own time), and synchronous (live/real-time) learning activities. This course will have regular weekly assignments due, scheduled live class sessions (via web conferencing), weekly text discussions via the course discussion forums, as well as readings and course materials that each of student is required to keep on top of each week. This is not a self-paced course. Each student must manage their own time each week, to know when assignments are due, and any other weekly course obligations, and all students move through the course together each week. This will involve regularly logging into the online learning systems to check forums, communications, monitor your TRU email address, and virtually interact with classmates, team members, instructors, and course materials.

At this point, I suggest the following actions:

• Begin to familiarize yourself with the course site and get to know our learning management system and in particular what the course has in it, which can be accessed here: https://moodle.tru.ca/login/index.php
  • Make sure to read the course syllabus, located on the Modules page, and review the required or optional textbooks that may need to be ordered or purchased, the scheduled live web conference dates/times, as well as assignment due dates, so you can plan your semester accordingly and get those dates in your professional calendar.
  • We will have our first live web conference on Zoom on Wednesday this week, so you’ll need to be sure you can access our web conferencing system. Note the Zoom  Web Conference link is in the course navigation.
  • Read through the Syllabus, and the Module 01 Overview so you know the rhythm of course, and what is expected. This can be found at the top of the course webpage page.

As you get started, I’ll answer any questions as they arise, or point you to our tech support forum for more technical questions. Please post your questions in the appropriate Discussion forum.  I will post a Module One informational message on the official course start date.

I look forward to working with you this semester!

Best,
Chris Tabi